Find Lots of Great Coverage Here

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

Monday, June 15, 2009

Or get off the pot

Still waiting. What's that old insult about a person who can't get their jank together? He/she would muck up a one-car funeral?
Welcome to Nats Town. Get your Red on!

Look, this isn't that hard. Someone in the organization got word to Ken Rosenthal that Manny was going to be fired. That much is clear. It may not be correct but Rosenthal is a pro and he's not going to state/write that if he wasn't told by someone he trusted and someone who would be in a position to know.

Once the cat is out there, it does no one any good to let it hang out there. Yet Manny has managed two more losses and headed to New York.

If you are going to fire Manny, do it. Now. Don't issue these cheesy non-denials and "I don't talk about personnel" crap. When your personnel is in a tremendously high profile job, you have to talk about it sometimes.

If you are not going to fire Manny, come out and say that and let's all move forward. Questions about his managing ability aside, Manny is a quality person. No one disputes that. He doesn't deserve this.

Someone in the organization brought an elephant into the room. It isn't going anywhere until someone in the organization moves it out of there.

Fire him. Or don't. But let's quit the fooling around and non-statements. It's out there and acting smug and all high and mighty isn't going to put it away.

There have been many times in the past five years that I've wondered what I did in a previous life to deserve to be saddled with a bad team that manages to regress every year. I went years and years and years without being a fan of anything and now I get this. Today is one of those days.

14 comments:

Dave Nichols said...

i'm less thrilled with Kasten's operating procedure with each passing day.

MikeHarris said...

I was a great admirer of his work in Atlanta, despite his amazing level of arrogance.
I'm becoming less of an admirer here with each passing day.
Had I still been in the media when he uttered his "that's pretty weak" line the other day, I might have gone nuts.
Yeah, sometimes other media members beat you on stories. It happens. You have to follow up. Nothing "weak" about it - only weak if you don't do it.

That we don't know anything definitive yet on this one is just amazing.

Ryan said...

Feinstein says today in his column that sometimes you need change for the sake of change.

I disagree.

Will firing Manny make the team better? No.

Is Manny making the team worse? No.

I've gone back and forth on this more times than I'd care to admit, but I think I'd keep him. Have some balls, keep him. I'd like to see Manny still here when the Nats finally turn this thing around. Whenever that may be.

Ben said...

At this point, the most important thing is that the players are still behind him.

Without better players this team is going no where, so bringing someone else would be another act of headless management from this team.

You start at one end of the problem and work your way to the other. So now they have to either let Rizzo build a team, let someone else build a team and see what Manny can do with it or they look silly.

MikeHarris said...

Well, they have the 'look silly' part under control. There's clearly a leak of some sort in the organization and they've left the manager - who doesn't deserve to be treated that way - twisting.

Say SOMETHING.

CoverageisLacking said...

"Had I still been in the media when he uttered his "that's pretty weak" line the other day, I might have gone nuts."

Somehow I missed this gem. Could someone fill me in?

MikeHarris said...

This is the quote from Nationals.com - still searching for the "weak" line but this conveys the same message:

"Do you have sources that say that? So you're asking me to respond to another media report? That's kind of a silly thing to ask," Kasten said. "I would never talk about personnel. ... I've been asked that question by some media outlet almost every day since the first week of the season -- radio, TV, print."

CoverageisLacking said...

Thanks, Mike. The guy's arrogance is over the top. Almost every time I read what he has to say, I throw up in my mouth a little bit. I can only imagine what your former colleagues who have to deal with him on a regular basis go through.

MikeHarris said...

He's an acquired taste, that's for sure.

I'll give the dude this - at least back in his Atlanta days, he returned every call. He might remind you 1,001 times that he was a hell of a lot smarter. But he called.

Manny ought to pretend to be a reporter. Then maybe he'd get a call.

An Briosca Mor said...

"Almost every time I read what he has to say, I throw up in my mouth a little bit."

Odd, I feel exactly the same way whenever I read one of Coverage is Lacking's comments. Arrogance? The man knows whereof he speaks.

CoverageisLacking said...

Coming from you that's rich, ABM. Why do you think it's appropriate to come on someone else's blog solely to make a personal attack against a commenter? Why don't you go back to your own blog and update it with some personal attacks there? I promise you, no one will read it.

An Briosca Mor said...

Coverage is Lacking, how is me seeing one of your comments and saying that I find it arrogant any different than you seeing Kasten's comments and saying that you find them arrogant? If you can't handle public criticism of your public comments, then maybe you shouldn't be making public comments.

MikeHarris said...

Uh *** guys? Focus here! Not on each other. Thanks.

CoverageisLacking said...

No problem, Mike, agreed.