Find Lots of Great Coverage Here

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Red Sox Nation invades

My original plan was to go to Thursday's game only, the game that is part of my season-ticket package. I managed to pick up some actual work in the area, so I will go tonight, too. Might as well take advantage of the free t-shirt and see a little more baseball.

What I'm most curious about is seeing the Red Sox Nation somewhere outside Fenway Park. I have a feeling it is a different group than other fan "nations," and I mean that in a positive way.

My many Red Sox fan friends have a different vibe about them. I was actually happy for them when they broke the curse in 2004. I think "get your Red (Sox) on" is going to take on a whole different meaning the next three nights but I also think it will be a lot of fun.

I have no love for Mets fans. I have had zero issues with Phillies fans, though I understand others have and I can fully understand how that could happen. Cubs fans? Please. Oh how I loved being there for Wil Nieves' (who?) one and only major league home run.

Yankees fans were cool when we dealt with them back in 2006. O's fans weren't too bad when we encountered them last season (and I'll see three games in Baltimore this weekend). Maybe it is an AL East thing.

Whatever, I'm looking forward to these next three games as much as I've looked forward to any of them since the Nats appeared. It should be fun. I'll see two live and one on TV. I'm fully expecting three losses but will be thrilled to be wrong once, twice or even three times.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Phillies fans are the absolute worst. It's not even close -- yet.

I'm interested to do the comparison after this week's games against Boston.

Brian said...

Mike - I'll be at the same games. Tonight in 419. Thursday in 114. Should be around the Red Porch tonight (mobile battery is dead) and Thursday is still TBD.

MikeHarris said...

I'm going to get there early - will do a search in the Porch.

We got a guy I worked with at the paper two tix for tonight and tomorrow as his retirement gift. He's a Sox fan. Another young woman who worked with me is going with her Dad. They're Sox fans.

Do they still get the t-shirts??