Find Lots of Great Coverage Here

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

Monday, October 11, 2010

Our Youth vs. Their Youth

One of the few redeeming things about the offseason when you follow a crap-o-la team is you can watch the postseason and think, "Yeah, that's us next year."

I'm trying and I'm convinced I must be drunk.

I really want to be optimistic for once in my life but it isn't working and here's why: Let's for the sake of discussion buy the Nats argument that the team and system is just bursting with quality young talent. OK, we believe.

Is that young talent any better, or even as good as, the young talent on other teams? I don't think so.

The negativity began creeping in yesterday when I looked at my Page-A-Day Calendar (Sports Facts) and I saw that it was Troy Tulowitzki's birthday. Happy Birthday Troy, a day late.

He's 26. He's 11 months older than Ian Desmond. Eleven whole months. I love Desie and all, but which player would you rather have?

It hit me between the eyes again tonight when I saw the Giants were throwing Madison Bumgarner in the game that could get them into the NL championship series. This kid is barely 21 (8/1/1989) and he won seven games this season with an ERA of 3.00.

My guess is other than a healthy Jee-SUS (who isn't healthy), he'd probably be the Nats best pitcher.

Add to it the fact that Lincecum and Cain are just 26 (and Cain just barely) and you aren't going to convince me the Nats' staff will be any better than this staff, maybe ever, even after Jee-SUS returns.

Jason Heyward is like 21. The Braves have some stud pitching prospect whose name escapes me, used as a comparison point about Bryce Harper's development in one of his instructional games, who will give them three really damn good pitchers under 25 if this kid makes the team next season (Jurrjens and Hanson are both 24).

Found the story on the Braves guy - Julio Teheran.

Hell, Brian McCann is a FIVE-TIME all-star and he's only 26! Maybe my The Son the Braves Fan is on to something.

I could go on and on and on but I think the point is clear.

The Nats' kids do indeed look to be all right. I fear the rest of the league has kids who are more all right.

So here I sit, all depressed again. Maybe there's some hockey on tonight. Hey, their is - and the Caps are winning! At least with the Caps, I can stay happy until the playoffs start.

No comments: