Find Lots of Great Coverage Here

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Rookie Limits

I'd go look this up myself but work is a smidge busy on the first Saturday of college football. But a baseball thought popped into my head so I slipped over here to ask a question.

How much can a position player play before he loses rookie status?

I'm hoping the Nats just go with Danny Espinosa the rest of the way at second, but I'd also like to see him be a rookie of the year candidate next year. Not sure if he'd exceed the number if plays the rest of the games.

Anyhoo, back to work. With football season starting, I won't be watching quite as much baseball this month but he does seem like one to keep an eye on.

3 comments:

Brent said...

The limit is 130 at-bats. I don't see him as a .300 hitter, but if all goes well he could be a .270 hitter with 20 HR.

MikeHarris said...

Thanks. I don't see him getting 130 at bats this year

BinM said...

Mike: Here's the word from MLB.com...
"Determining rookie status:
A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list)".
In other words, Espinosa is safe unless he racks up 5AB per game over the rest of the season.