Find Lots of Great Coverage Here


Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Don't want to toot my horn TOO much

OK, maybe I do.

Faithful followers of this here blog will remember a question I asked on June 28, 2008. I have cut and pasted below:
2. ALL SMILES: Including a 2-for-4 game with a 3-run triple yesterday at GCL Cardinals, INF Smiley Gonzalez has posted multi-hit and multi-RBI efforts in 3 of 4 games to begin the season...overall, he is batting .444 with 2 doubles a triple and a team-leading 7 RBI...the 18-year-old signed with the Nationals as a non-drafted free agent July 2, 2006.

The question - is this dude really 18?

I wish I could tell you I was brilliant or had great sources or something cool like that. Nope. This was just a hunch, a something-didn't-smell-right kind of thing. Luck, I suppose you could call it, but my b.s. meter went crazy from the start on this guy.

It's not the first age scandal involving a player. It won't be the last. Who was the Brave a few years back who had a few years added to his age? Was it Furcal? There was a big fuss when he got picked up for underage drinking, if memory serves. Turns out he wasn't underaged.

The real question in this Smiley-isn't-Smiley debacle isn't whether heads will or should roll. Think Uncle Stan and El Jefe are pissed? That's a lot of cabbage. Someone (my money is on Rijo) is going down.

The real question is, from a competitive standpoint, does it matter? Who gives a rat's red one how old the guy is or what his name is IF he can play? Can he play? Does anybody know?

One of the interns here is a former Nats farmhand who got like six at-bats last year in the GCL. He says the guy is legit. He also had no clue about this story until I told him. Or at least he acted like he had no clue. Someone obviously knew something!


An Briosca Mor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MikeHarris said...

Good point on the fake name issue with immigration.
Do they have a way to get any money back if he can no longer play in the U.S.?