Find Lots of Great Coverage Here

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Pre PC Report Question of the Day 2

Yesterday was the best day I've had in quite a while. Nats sign Dunn. VCU wins a game in overtime when it looked for a long while like the Rams were going to lose. I made it home safely. My son bought his first new car. I had a trio of Labs waiting for me at the door, wagging their tails.
Oh, did I mention the Nats signed Adam Dunn?

That, of course, leads to the question. Where does he play?

Do you try to keep Dunn and Johnson in the lineup and go with Dunn, Dukes, Milledge across the outfield? Willingham as your fourth and Kearns as OMO (odd man out)? Do you take whatever deal you can get on Johnson, knowing an injury is coming (it always does), and put Dunn at first. That leaves Willingham, Dukes, Milledge across the outfield and Kearns as fourth. Or Kearns in right, Milledge (or Dukes) in left and Willingham as fourth?

Trades could change everything, obviously. I'm not sure I'm eager for a trade unless it brings in a big-time pitcher. I'd hate to see them let Milledge go elsewhere, for reasons beyond having to listen to my wife complain about her guy being gone.

I see no way Langerhans, Bernadina, Maxwell or any other outfielder stick now - can the young guys become part of a trade?

Yeah, again, that's more than one question. Counting has always given me trouble.

If today is half as good as yesterday, it will be a pretty good day. It's baked chicken day at the work lunch counter, so we're off to a good start.

Oh, oh, one more question: Is there any need/clamor to try and get Orlando Hudson now?

LATE EDIT - I just realized I typed all this nonsense and didn't even mention Wily Mo. Has he become a complete non-factor to anyone else? Is there any way he sticks around?

MASN is going to show the press conference live at 3 p.m., just in case anyone doesn't have to, like, work and wants to watch.

6 comments:

Screech's Best Friend said...

The potential loss of Washington's Second Round pick would not be wise just to sign Hudson IMHO. With their extra major league talent on the roster waiting to be traded--I think getting Hudson for the short term doesn't fit anymore. They might be able to pick someone up in a trade better and younger. And still save their pick for good use in June.

And yeah, it was a good day yesterday.

MikeHarris said...

Great point about the pick - and I'm OK with Hernandez there. Or Harris. For whatever reason, I still can't get "sold" on Belliard as an everyday 2B.

An Briosca Mor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MikeHarris said...

I agree - it is very nice to have options. But you still need something resembling an every day lineup.

Is Dmitri safe?

An Briosca Mor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris Needham said...

A few points on picking up Hudson and giving up a pick...

1) He'd be flippable at the deadline for something mildly interesting.

2) If they offer him arbitration in the offseaosn, they're likely to recoup a 1st rounder should he sign elsewhere (which'd be more likely if there's more stability in the economy).

3) (This isn't a CHEEEEP argument!), but they're going to be spending a crapload of money in the first round between the 1 and 10 picks. I'm not sure they're willing to dedicate all that money, and they'd still be able to use some of the money saved on a 2nd rounder to take more signability selections later in the draft -- as they did last season once they realized they weren't signing crow.