Find Lots of Great Coverage Here

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

Friday, September 18, 2009

Modern commerce and gold gloves

My son found a pair of shoes he liked at Zappos.com one day so he went through the checkout process, put in his info, found out shipping was free. He sat back and waited - but not long. The shoes were on the porch the next day!

I pay a little extra to Amazon to get my books in two days but they always deliver in one.

You don't have to wait for anything these days. Even catchers.

I'd love to find the Web site Mike Rizzo went to last night as he watched Wil Nieves hobble past first base. Were there pictures? A drop-down menu? Check boxes? You put "catcher" in the search window and see what comes up?

Catcher/cheap/old/desperate = CLICK - and up comes Jamie Burke. Wonder if shipping was free? They're getting him to New York tonight.

Perhaps they can just get Schneider from the Mets now and begin his reunion tour early?

What happened to Luke Montz that he fell from grace so quickly? Anyone know?

As for Gold Gloves, only 35 people voted in the current poll. So much for hitting 100 - shockingly, 32 think Ryan Zimmerman should win. I'm curious to hear from the three who voted no. I can understand arguments either way. I voted yes for a simple reason. I'm a FanboyLooser.

New poll coming later today when I think of a good question.

(and if this Web site can deliver catchers so fast, why can't it find some relievers? Maybe it only deals in retreads. Off to check www.bargainbasementbaseball.com and see what's out there. Probably have to have some kind of GM code to get in).

9 comments:

An Briosca Mor said...

I think it's every bit as likely that this guy's agent was monitoring Direct TV Extra Innings or MLB Network or whatever and put in a call to Rizzo the instant Nieves pulled up lame. Two seconds later, Burke was on the phone to the agent saying Show Me The Money.

Or maybe the order was reversed on those two events.

Think of the community of MLB GMs as Times Square, and the agents are the guys walking the streets in trenchcoats, holding them open and asking if you want to buy a Rolex.

DoubleH said...

I voted "no". It wasn't that I necessarily thought anyone else was better. I just can't get past the throwing issues he had during the 1st half of the season.

WFY said...

Riggleman managed him last year, so that might have something to do with it.

Dave Nichols said...

Montz was removed from the 40-man when the call-ups were made. he fell out of favor after a disastrous year where he hit .181/.288/.313 in 369 at bats and was demoted from Syracuse to Harrisburg.

Mike said...

It's striking how similar the smooth resolution of this situation was to the way Bard was brought aboard in the spring after Valentin bailed out. Wouldn't surprise me if Zduriencik had already shopped Burke to Rizzo (and others) and Rizzo had duly placed Burke on his short list of "catcher acquisition candidates in case of emergency." He probably has a similar list for each position where the Nats' system is weak, which at present would include C, 2B and SS.

Wil Nieves said...

Thanks for being concerned about me. I'm just hoping my injury doesn't harm my chances to continue on as the backup next year - I am eligible for arbitration, you know.

PS. It's Wil, not Will, in the poll.

MikeHarris said...

Yeah, I knew that - just making sure somebody was paying attention.
I can't edit it now because people have already voted.

An Briosca Mor said...

Question. Wouldn't Brian Schneider be a FA/trade acquisition? Should there also be an "All of the Above" choice?

MikeHarris said...

Yeah, he would but I was being specific with him since many seem to think he's headed back.
I should have added "some other" FA/trade choice to that listing.