Find Lots of Great Coverage Here

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

Sunday, July 13, 2008

If he's hurting THAT much ***

Chico the Writer's story today in the Post makes me scream one question:

If he's hurting THAT much, WHY THE HELL IS HE OUT THERE?

I love Manny's made-up word in this quote: "That was the at-bat that probably disinflated us, basically," Acta said of Peña's 1-2-3 double play. "It took all of the air out of us right there. He chased a pitch low out of the zone in that situation and just made their night, basically."

Disinflated? Actually a better word than deflated. I know I felt disinflated after that double play.

Hey Gus, check out this quote from your guy Lenny (or "Lennie" in the Nationals.com story: "I see [dejection] in his face," Harris said. "He has his head down a lot. When a big guy and strong as he is has pain, I mean, none of us will feel the pain he's in. Because he's stronger than five guys. And so, it's amazing that he's going out there and trying to do the things he can. He's been brave. I've got to give it to him."

He's been brave. Just great. He can't freaking hit but at least he's being brave when he goes up there and sucks the life out of the team.

DL time gang. NOW.

Here's more from Manny in the Times, about LoDuca's "mental" error in the fifth: "That's a question you're going to have to ask him," manager Manny Acta said when he was asked what happened on the play. "Everybody saw what happened."

Did anybody ask him? I see no sign of that. I'd sure like to know what he was thinking. If he was unavailable or refused to talk, please tell us. If he refused to talk, I have a message for him.

Reading The Times sure cheered me up this a.m. I'm not at all confident any of the top five draft picks will get signed (and I suspect signing them is a key part of The Plan). Maxwell is out another month, so he's not an option when WMP goes on the DL.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the bright side, Shairon Martis is pitching in the futures game today at Yankee Stadium.

I'm a little surprised Jordan Zimmermann wasn't picked for the game A/AA: 7-3, 3.09 ERA, 1 sv, 83 K's, 36 BBs.

I am with you on WMP, but other than Bernadina, who the heck would the Nats bring up to play OF?

MikeHarris said...

deCaster. See my earlier post. He goes to third, Casto goes to left. Belliard (and FLop) at second.
Sexson at first! Kidding, kidding, stop throwing shit at me.

Anonymous said...

Had some fun looking through milb.com and seeing how some of our future hopes are doing and I cam across this interesting name: Leonard Davis.
Started the year in Potomac and hit very well, then went to Harrisburg and absolutely mashed it (.488!) in 10 games and just moved up to Columbus. He is only 1 for 13 there so far, but I wonder if the Nats are looking at him as possible Sept. callup?

Anonymous said...

If the deadline passes and Crow isn't signed, I'm not sure I can justify continuing to follow this team. I can deal with losing seasons as long it seems the team is moving in the right direction, but this would be a real setback. They'll get a pick next year in virtually the same slot, but what difference does it make if there are always going to be signability concerns?

Will they draft Strasburg next year if they get the first overall pick knowing that his representative is Scott Boras? How do you justify asking people to pay high prices to see the team in person if you aren't doing everything in your power to move the team in the right direction?