Find Lots of Great Coverage Here

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I have no comment either

The umpires aren't talking, this report by the Times' Mark Zuckerman says. As much as I'd like to know what they were thinking or what they saw, I can't say I blame them much.

If there's a more thankless job in sports than being an umpire, I don't know what it would be. This book provides some interesting insight on the profession. I finished it not long ago. Not a great book by any stretch but I'm glad I read it because it gave me a little more understanding about the world of umpires. It also made this much clear - that's not a job I'd want at a million bucks a year.

Did they get the call wrong last night? Probably. Of course, I'm looking at it from a Nats' fan point of view. I know this - as much as we rant and scream and moan (all part of being a fan), those folks get it right an amazingly high percentage of the time.

Do the Nats win if the call is reversed? Who knows? Chances are good those runs score anyway. This was not one of those heartbreak games, one of those bullpen implosions or other weird happenings games. This was a game where the Mets were better. Period.

While I'm using this space to pimp books, this one about Mike Coolbaugh and Tino Sanchez is pretty much a must read. I finished it last night. Don't read it without a box of tissues nearby and don't say you weren't warned. But do read the book.

1 comment:

bdrube said...

I hear you on this one. Even if that call had gone our way, we still would have lost 3-2. What can you say? Except that what really stinks is that the offense has gone into hibernation at almost the exact moment that the pitching has settled down.

Hurry back, Jesus and Elijah.