Find Lots of Great Coverage Here

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

Monday, March 2, 2009

The WBC

Today is the first day of the rest of our lives and I woke up to - snow up to my fat arse. I hate snow, if I haven't mentioned that before on here. Hate it with a passion. Hate it more than all other things combined. I don't ski so it serves no useful purpose. I do get to work from the ranch today but I'd rather be in the office and have NO show nearby. None.

Ah, but after yesterday? Seems like a brilliant, sunny day. No clouds on the horizon.

My concern today is the WBC. Like snow, I see no useful purpose served. Yes, I'm still clouded by the elbow injury suffered by Luis Ayala when we all still loved him as a pitcher. Even without that, I don't see the point.

I want Adam Dunn with the Nats. He doesn't need competition. He's had that. I want him to get to know his new teammates, on and off the field. I want the brass to see if he's equipped to handle himself at first or in left. I want Joel Hanrahan with the Nats. He's going to be called on to save many of the 130 or so games they'll win this season. I want him with the Nats, gearing up for that role on that team.

I'll hang up now and listen.

Also, many thanks to my man FireJimBowden and the SportsBog (see cool links to the right) for the shoutout in the interview Dan Steinberg did with my blogging colleague. I don't know if I've ever said this here. I've said it on some other sites I pollute with my drivel. Dan Steinberg is the best blogger out there, all due respect to my Natsmosphere friends (and myself). Guy is terrific and the "bog" is not only a great name, it is what a newspaper's primary blog should be. It is what I wanted, but never quite got, out of the blogs we did when I was still at the paper here. Only downside is his stuff doesn't get in the paper. His coverage of George Mason's run to the Final Four in 2006 was exceptional. The best anywhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The WBC is a joke. It is a tournament that if it is going to be held at all should be held in Nov. after the season.
More of the stars might want to do it and any free agent will be interested in showcasing himself in something like it.

Unknown said...

Thoughts:
WBC sucks. No other way to say it.
Steinberg is the bomb diggity.
Congrats on your shout-outs.