Find Lots of Great Coverage Here

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

Saturday, July 11, 2009

A first

Over the years, I've seen a lot of odd stuff in various sporting events. Remember, I used to watch them for a living.

Perhaps the strangest came at a high school game. One out. Runner on first. Hitter blasts one deep into the gap. Runner takes off. No way it gets caught. He's halfway to third. Center fielder - no Nyjer but close - catches the daggone thing. Amazing catch. The runner sprints back to first via the pitcher's mound. The team on defense immediately threw the ball to second and he was out. You have to return the way you came, touch the bases on the way back.

Until tonight, I had never seen anyone at the high school level or above miss a base. Not once. I think Ryan Church did it earlier this year for the Mets (his former team). I did not see that.

I could have gone the rest of my life without seeing it, too. Clear miss of the bases. Went right over it. And I'm going to head on to bed because I have this hunch that will someone how come back to cost the Nats.

No comments: