Find Lots of Great Coverage Here

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

That's two

Zimmermann and Lannan. Get Strasburg signed and, if he's 50 percent as good as advertised, that's 3/5 of a major-league rotation.

I've been convinced on Zimmermann for a while, pretty much since the Randy Johnson game (still steamed about the strike three call on Dunn). I've mostly been convinced on Lannan, too, though his effort tonight pushed me over the top. I'm not even sure I can explain why. Poise means as much to me as anything else and I've seen that get better with him as the season has progressed.

As I told my wife one night: All pitchers get in trouble. Good ones turn five-run innings into two-run innings. Bad ones turn two-run innings into five-run innings.

Not sure that applies here, though? Was he ever in trouble?

Ray Knight just said "he's our best pitcher." My Son The Braves fan called it "a Maddux-esque night." That's a high compliment from him, since he worships Maddux and John Smoltz.

Not sure he's the best. I still hold out for Z-nn there. I do think he's a keeper.

Now who are the other two? Are they on the team now? Are they in the system?

5 comments:

Gus said...

Tyler Clippard.

bdrube said...

Well, I wouldn't count on Strasburg until 1). he actually signs, and 2). he makes it to the majors without his arm falling off.

As for the others, I still think Detwiler has potential. Beyond him most of the guys in the minors look like number 5-long relief types.

I must say though that the possibility of Stammen turning into a right-handed version of Lannan intrigues me. We'll see tonight if he can keep up his good run.

Ryan said...

I really thought Martis would be a hell of a lot better this year. He sure looked good in that CG effort against the Cards a few months ago.

I do think Lannan is our best pitcher right now. Z-nn is right there, though. I'm interested to see Mock on Friday night.

MikeHarris said...

I hope I'm wrong but I'm starting to think AAAA for Mock.
I'm also not sure on Martis. I saw that same Cardinals game and thought Wow but now I wonder if it was just one of those days any pitcher has from time to time.

Ryan said...

I see where you're coming from, Mike. But I can't help by think back to 5-0.

Ah well. Eff him. We'll go get someone else. Maybe.