Find Lots of Great Coverage Here

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

Friday, May 16, 2008

Time for a change?

Pena and Dukes down, Maxwell and (I'd settle for anyone) up?

I'm really tired of watching Pena and Dukes struggle. Or maybe they just aren't any good.

Langerhans? Mike Daniel? Pete Orr? The guy did play a decent amount of outfield last season - and he could not possibly be worse out there.

I'm not sure how this option stuff works out and, at this point, I don't much care.

I also don't like the "no talk" stuff that both Chico and Ben Goessling mention in their game stories today. Yes, that's just the ol' reporter in me talking. I still don't like it. Sack up and talk.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think each guy gets one more week. If neither produce, it is time to send Dukes down to get him an everyday job down in AAA and send Pena to the bench. Maxwell (unfortunately) isn't tearing up the minors, so nobody's pushing them. I'm guessing if a change is made, it will be with Mike Daniel.

Nice blog, btw. Come check mine out sometime: http://dcsportsplus.blogspot.com

MikeHarris said...

Thanks and I will check yours out when I get the Saturday errands done.
Has Langerhans learned how to hit or is that a mirage? If he hits a bit, he's a valuable bench guy.

Anonymous said...

I still think that Dukes will be a decent major league hitter. He's had decent enough plate discipline in the minors to believe that he'll come around if given a decent amount of at-bats. Pena, on the other hand, I think is a guy who will have a decent hot streak every now and then, but I don't think he's anything more than a platoon DH.

I thought Langerhans would do better last year considering he had put up decent numbers on the Braves. He's also a plus defender, so I would love to see him given another shot in left.

Unknown said...

Yeah, Langerhans is hitting .307/.419/.438...slugging numbers still not there but with his plus defense, he deserves another shot too. The thing is, he strikes me as a Mackowiak who can't play infield (and plays a little bit better outfield). I think that having 2 IF/OF UTIL guys in Mackowiak and Harris is a little overkill. I could definitely see one being traded and Langerhans getting the call.

Here's Langerhans' MiLB.com page:
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Ryan%20Langerhans&pos=LF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=407798