Find Lots of Great Coverage Here

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Can't sleep with this on my mind

It has been a LONG day. Up at 5:30, out the door at 6:45 a.m. for Newport News (much cheaper flight), flight delayed, yada yada yada.

Anyway, it's either very late or very early and I want to get to bed. Just got back to the room after a very long night and early morning of baseball. Turner Field still looks great. We had fun. Got a cool picture taken that I will post once I get home and get it scanned. Trip is off to a great start if you can overlook the 6-5 score and 0-4 thing next to Nationals in the standings.

But I'm left with a nagging question and I hope some of you who watched at home can help. Being at the park is terrific, one of the things I enjoy most in life. The views aren't always great and the replays aren't always available.

Seventh inning. Doesn't Milledge at least have to try and throw out McCann at the plate? Late in a tie game? Tough play sure. Don't you have to give it a try?

We're talking about a guy who is, as my son says, slower than I am. The risk is small. Francouer gets second base. I can live with that. The potential reward is high. McCann is out and the Braves don't score the go-ahead run.

It looked like McCann hesitated, too. Again, I saw no replay and my angle on the whole thing wasn't good. I could be way off base.

It also looked like Dukes was in some sort of pain as he left the field.

I'll hang up and listen. We're going to sleep in tomorrow, watch the Masters and head over for another game. I'll be about three rows behind the Nats bench. Maybe I'll just ask Milledge myself.

5 comments:

An Briosca Mor said...

Congratulations. You have found the one Milledge play from last night that no one anywhere else in the whole Natmosphere has bothered to criticize. Being in Atlanta, you may not realize how exceedingly tough a task that is. The kid can not reach down and tie his shoe without a crowd of anonymous commenters piling on to tell him that the way he's doing it is just killing this team.

You may pick up your prize - a framed Lastings Milledge photo - at the team store prior to the start of Monday's opener. For a small fee, Ryan Zimmerman will forge Milledge's signature on it for you. But you can't complain if he doesn't do it right.

MikeHarris said...

Yeah, OK, but I wasn't criticizing as much as questioning - should he have made that throw?
I have no complaints with him other than that - I think he had to hold on that fly ball and had to swing on the ball that resulted in a double play. He hung in and drove in the tying run (winning run if he makes the throw?)
I'm not a Lastings hater by any stretch. Not sure he's a leadoff guy though.
Dude is my wife's favorite player. I'd be living on the porch if I ripped him too badly.

An Briosca Mor said...

BTW, Dukes's injury? Groin pull. An all-time classic sports injury.

MikeHarris said...

Day-to-day, all-time classic Nats speak for, "We have no clue!"

An Briosca Mor said...

It didn't look that bad on TV. He was walking off next to the trainer without much of any gimp in his step. If he doesn't start tonight I'll bet he'll still be able to PH.