Find Lots of Great Coverage Here

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Wipe that smirk off your face!

As rare as they've been, any victory is worth celebrating. In my house, there's nothing better than a victory over the Braves - especially after being in the stadium for three losses to them recently.

My son and I sat through the whole thing last night, switching over to the back-to-back Two and A Half Men episodes during the rain delay (he's the half in this joint). In the ninth, two on and none out, he had that smirk on his face. We both knew what was coming. Except it didn't come and he retreated upstairs in a flurry of unprintable words.

Love it.

Neither of us could figure out why Dukes was trying for third base early in the game. We darn sure couldn't figure out what Prado was thinking trying to get to third later in the game. I sure didn't mind seeing the inning end with Chipper Jones in the batter's box.

He's leaving work early today, we're meeting his sister and heading to the park. I'm saying my prayers now that Zimmerman hits one out. If it happens, turn your head toward Section 309 and watch the goofball in the Braves' hat and Virginia Tech tattoo stand up and sing the U.Va. fight song. I'm hoping my buddies at MASN put a camera on him.

It's amazing how a couple of victories can change a mood. He reminds me the Nats are 3-10 on the season. I remind him the Nats are 2-0 since the purge, 2-0 since the deal for Zimmerman was signed. And the Braves are 0-2 in that same timeframe.

The Nats are, however, 0-6 with me in attendance this season. I hope that little fact doesn't get my ticket voided.

12 comments:

An Briosca Mor said...

Well, they're 1-2 with me in the park and we're both there tonight. Something's gotta give!

MikeHarris said...

I smell a .500 record for you.

Anonymous said...

We also win when there is a rain delay! I am not in favor of rain delays, but would happily sit through a few more if it meant curly W's!!

MikeHarris said...

0-7 for me, 1-3 for you. Fortunately for the Nats, I don't see them again until May 2.

The Nationals Enquirer said...

I blame last night on you, Mike. Thanks a lot. I'm 0-2 this year myself, but you're killing us!

MikeHarris said...

I'm watching video, getting there early, putting in the time. I'm trying to figure it out. I have no options so I have to stay on the roster for now.

An Briosca Mor said...

Something has changed in my personal Nats mojo. Last year, I attended 30 games (20 game plan plus extras, so some were pre-ordained while others were whims) and despite watching some damn ugly baseball along the way, in the end they were 16-14 with me in the house. Not so this year. I reflected last night that I have sat in my seat now for 18 straight innings while the Nats have failed to score (last nine of the 11-inning Saturday loss, plus last night). The only win I've been there for was a whim purchase last Thursday. I clearly either need to start going to more games out of my plan, or quit going to games in my plan. Or maybe both.

MikeHarris said...

We clearly need a trip to Florida for extended spring training.

An Briosca Mor said...

I'm only going to extended spring training if I'm allowed in the chow line in front of Dmitri Young.

MikeHarris said...

That's part of the training but an easy part. You have to outrun him to the food. Once he gets through, there's nothing left. But he's not very fast.

An Briosca Mor said...

Oh, I can outrun him. Used to run five miles a day til a few years ago when my knees started to give out, then I had to start walking instead. But I can outrun him. Run around him, though? That might be a different story...

MikeHarris said...

NASCAR calls that going four wide.